1. Like in the Movies (2020)Watch Here Like In the Movie is a 2020 Filipino BL series that tells the story of Karl, a 19-year-old architecture student facing an identity crisis. He is forced by his parents to live in his uncle's condominium unit to learn to live independently, a family tradition before the second semester of college begins. Karl takes on an online part-time job to meet financial needs, but when his main client disappears, he struggles to pay bills. An opportunity arises when his crush, Vlad, offers to be his roommate during the semester break in exchange for rent. Like In The Movie is considered one of the best and high-quality BL series. It features a beautiful story, outstanding acting, and captivating music. The realistic and emotional storytelling engages the audience with all the characters. Although the story has concluded, many are eager for more episodes or a second season of this drama.
2. Gameboys The Series (2020)Watch Here Gameboys: The Series is a 2020 Filipino drama that follows two gamers, Cairo and Gavreel, engaged in a romantic relationship during the COVID-19 lockdown. They strive to foster love through the virtual world and face various challenges in a long-distance relationship, including uncertainty and emotions. The drama portrays the dynamics of modern relationships influenced by technology and the pandemic. Gameboys The Series received positive responses due to its strong LGBTQ+ representation and smart use of social media in the story. The audience feels connected to the love story of the main characters, and the relatively small production is appreciated for delivering quality content.
3. My Day The Series (2020)Watch Here My Day The Series is a romantic comedy series that tells the journey of Sky, a determined culinary student, as he searches for his place in a billion-dollar food company. The series shows how Sky overcomes various challenges and even wins the heart of his difficult boss, Ace. Many viewers describe My Day The Series as a messy yet popular BL series. Despite being controversial, My Day has captivated audiences with the chemistry between the main actors and exclusive kissing scenes. Although the storyline is cliché, involving enemies turned lovers and rich-poor character falling in love, the series attempts to explore personal issues and relationships. Despite some flawed parts, My Day The Series is suitable for those seeking thrilling chemistry and kissing scenes.
4. Hello Stranger (2020)Watch Here Hello Stranger tells the story of two young men who first meet online as apparent strangers who seemingly dislike each other but eventually become connected by circumstances that will change their lives forever. Mico organizes an online quiz night with his friends, and he is surprised when Xavier, a popular school basketball player, joins and mocks them. Little did Mico know that this wouldn't be the last time he would see Xavier. "Hello Stranger" narrates self-discovery, friendship, and love during quarantine. The story focuses on the friendship relationship between the characters, without involving character relationships with family. Although it uses the enemies-to-lovers trope, it still offers a fresh touch. The actors perform well, the production is of high quality, with a relatable script and a great soundtrack.
5. Boys' Lockdown (2020)Watch Here Boys' Lockdown is a BL drama that depicts love amidst a pandemic. Key and Chen meet during quarantine and connect uniquely. Despite facing restrictions and pandemic dangers, their relationship develops. The story of this series is cute and simple, depicting two men falling in love in a difficult situation. The series subtly presents political themes. The script is natural, although there are some cliché dialogues. The actors perform well and have great chemistry.
6. The Day I Loved You (2022)Watch Here "The Day I Loved You" is the next intriguing Filipino BL drama after and a must-watch following Boy's Lockdown. In 10 short episodes, this story explores high school romance between Eli, a foreign student, and Nikko. Enemies turned lovers, interspersed with a fascinating love triangle twist. The performances of the actors, including Tommy Alejandrino, Raynold Tan, and Rabin Angeles, leave a strong impression. The conflict between Eli, Nikko, and Nikko's friend, Justine, adds complexity to their relationships amidst school prom preparations. Despite being light, this drama presents a good story with interesting characters and is enjoyable.
7. Rainbow Prince (2022)Watch Here "Rainbow Prince" is a musical BL series that tells the story of Prince Zeyn, a brave young prince on an adventure and in search of true love. The series highlights the struggle between obligations as the heir to the Zurbanian throne and the prince's heart's desires. "CAFEBL" managed to watch this drama in 2 days because of its humorous story and unique concept. Despite having strengths in a unique concept and realistic representation of gay romance, this series lacks in acting, editing, and direction. For viewers interested in new concepts in BL and not bothered by some technical shortcomings, Rainbow Prince could be an interesting choice.
8. Why Love Why (2020)Watch Here The Filipino drama "Why Love Why" tells the story of two men, Benjo and Emil, who become partners for a research assignment. They come from different social backgrounds: Benjo lives in luxury, while Emil lives in difficult economic conditions. They are involved in a journey that highlights social inequality, the impact of the pandemic, and LGBTQIA+ issues. The popularity of this drama largely lies in the strong portrayal of social disparities, character conflicts, and exploration of relevant current issues. Its strengths lie in the strong depiction of the reality of life amidst the pandemic and the representation of complex characters. However, there are weaknesses in inconsistent plotlines and some characters. Despite its shortcomings, "Our Story" is still recommended for viewers interested in a strong narrative about social conflict and deep characters, despite some story weaknesses that need attention.
9. Swap Test (2020)Watch Here "Swap Test" is a love story between a male nurse who is heartbroken and a student amid the COVID-19 pandemic in the Philippines. They face a test when they swap situations, plans, and life principles. This story has interesting elements because it depicts relationships in difficult situations. Its strength lies in the honesty of the story and its ability to present the characters' life experiences in depth. However, like many dramas, there are subjective shortcomings that not everyone might like, such as the pace of the storyline or character development.
10. Stuck on You (2021)Watch Here 'Stuck On You' tells the story of JM and Reb, two individuals with different views on love, who come together when they are forced to undergo a lockdown together. The concept is interesting, exploring differing perspectives on love, but overall, it is less satisfying. Despite its potential, this drama doesn't fully capture attention due to several shortcomings in the storytelling execution. Its main strength lies in the depiction of love, especially through the character of JM, who presents a realistic and mature perspective on love. The contrast with the character Reb provides an interesting insight into different views on love. However, apart from this aspect, the drama lacks in delivering its story and sometimes feels inconsistent. Despite having very good dialogues, the overall drama is less satisfying. Recommended for those seeking a different perspective on a love story, but not for fans of strong and consistent storylines.
Out of these "10 recommended Filipino BL series" compiled, they showcase a diversity of love stories and intriguing adventures. From captivating performances to deep stories, each title offers something unique. While the themes and concepts might feel familiar, the charm of each series lies in its individuality. Viewers have their own perspectives to evaluate and discover charms that might be overlooked by others. So, from the above 10 recommendations, which one do you think is most recommended to watch?